Over a year ago, I created Thuum.org to archive and expand the fictional dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The Language Builder is a streamlined version of Thuum.org – a framework for you to create and manage your own constructed language.
The Language Builder package consists of PHP files, JQuery, a CSS stylesheet, and default images. It is a full website ready to go right out of the box. It’s easy to set up and use, and you can modify it however you’d like to make your own website. The Language Builder comes with the following features:
- Setup configuration
- Constructed Language to English dictionary
- English to Constructed Language dictionary
- AJAX Live Search
- Admin login
- + Add new words
- + Add new English to Constructed Language entries
- + Bulk import words from CSV
- Instruction guide
In order to use The Language Builder you will need a web host, or a localhost such as MAMP or XAMMP, that supports PHP 5 and MySQL. The Language Builder requires that you can create new MySQL databases. If you are unsure of how to do this, check with your web host.
Follow these instructions to set up your website:
- Unzip the site files and place them in the root directory of your website via FTP or another service.
- Create a new MySQL database. Remember the database name and the user and password for that database. If you are unsure of where to find this information, contact your web host.
- Navigate to the index of your site with your preferred browser. Follow the on-screen instructions for the configuration process.
If you have questions about configuring The Language Builder, using it, or would like to report an issue, you can reach me at email@example.com. Please refer to The Language Builder’s on-site guide first. I may not answer questions about modifying The Language Builder or help with issues that are a result of modifying The Language Builder.